Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Accomplishments and Plans

Last week was a very busy week, which was good.  Monday was my slow day and that's the day I was depressed for Marc's upcoming birthday.  That day, Friday, actually went well, though I missed my post.  Today, I'll catch everyone up on my accomplishments.

  • House was leveled!  Now I can open and close the front door with ease.
  • Spoke with the leveling guys about new under-skirting on my house, as well as a predator-proof enclosure for the chicken coop.  That may be more than I want to spend right now (the coop-enclosure).
  • Determined where to put the compost and chicken coop
  • Started work on moving the tree shreds to the new compost pile (and had to start another one).

I made some progress on moving the pile of wood shreds.  The pile is just far enough from the compost that I need to shovel it into my wagon, then dump, or shovel it into the compost pile.

I put the frame from a pallet inside to shape it, but my wagon wouldn't dump over the pallet board, so I had to start shoveling.  I was thankful that the last few days have been cool!  However, it wasn't long before I got a bit lazy (not really, this is a LOT of work), and started another pile next to this one.  It doesn't have a board across the front, so I can just dump the shreds in the space.

This is much easier.  Though as you can see from the first photo, I still have a long ways to go.

I will probably put in the beds before the fence,  I still need to get dirt, though hopefully I won't need to do that next year!!  I can put beds across the back of the area, so I can get dirt in them and start planting.  I will probably also put some of the shavings in the bottoms of the beds.

Today, I gave up on the idea of using the old fence boards, and bought some proper 2x6s.  I'll have to cut the end boards (oh boy!).  It was sprinkling when I got home, so the boards will come out tomorrow.  I also bought paint for the chicken coop, hope to get started on that this week as well.

Yesterday, my yard guy finally came and mowed down the bamboo.  This will need to be done regularly (probably once a week).  I bought a new lawn tractor, but wanted him to do the initial cut.  So now, I need to start doing my own mowing.  But I'm really glad to have the bamboo down.  This photo is from last week.  This is maybe a week and a half after it was cleared?

My title also mentions plans.  Below is a photo of the "garden area".   The gray outline is where the fence will go.  (It's hard to see, but the double gray line by the burn barrel is where the gate will go.)  On the right side, the chicken coop is circled in yellow and the compost in dark red.  The plan is to repurpose the greenhouse (whose opening is no longer working) to be storage.  That will actually be very useful.  The area in front of the greenhouse is used for backing and turning around, so that needs to stay open.  It may look small, but it's actually plenty large for the usage.


Until next time,

Stormy

No comments: