Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Slow but Steady

 I've been making some slow but steady progress on the garden area.  I have two compost bins (full) and have shoveled a lot more of the shreds into the bins.  Today, I was reminded that part of the pile is full of ants.  (I tried to get a photo, but the ants don't show up!)  


Here's the pile from the side.  You can see how much has been moved.  You can also see one of the garden beds.  It needs leveling and sides cut (I bought 8ft 2x6s - sides are 4ft).

I have family coming to help this weekend with putting up the fence (yay!) and I'm trying to get the big pile of shreds moved by then.  Though I may put some of it in the garden beds.



My apologies for not posting last Friday.  I've had some non-homestead projects that needed done.  In addition, there has been a LOT of rain.  One thing I'll need to do very soon is clean out the gutters because they're overflowing.  That's a bad thing in more ways than one.

It looks like this is coming from the side, or behind the gutter.  That will rot the facia boards.  Not good!!  At the other end, the water runs over the edge and drops onto the angled part of the down spout.  It makes a LOT of noise!!

Other things I have accomplished over the past week: I have determined where to put the chicken coop.  I've bought paint (it was unfinished) and a covered "cage" around it.  The chicken wire over the frame will be insufficient, so will need to be replaced.  However that will be less expensive than having one built ($4500 - that's an average price).  If the weather cooperates, hope to get the coop painted and assembled this week.

I've also done a little mowing.  Time to get after the bamboo again.  I'm still waiting for things to dry up some.  Maybe this evening...

Until next time,

Stormy

No comments: