Friday, February 16, 2024

Practice What You Preach

One of the followers of this series on my blog is the president of our Women's Group at church.  This month we moved our monthly meeting to a different date and the Pastor is not available for our Bible study.  She was impressed with my review on the 10 Questions book and has asked me to demonstrate it with the verses from our Ash Wednesday service.  (Not from the graphic here.)

This gives me several opportunities:

  1. Motivation to test my personal tool (though it may not work for everyone and may need some adjustments even for me).
  2. Test how I would study a longer segment of scripture instead of 1-2 verses.
  3. Practice my speaking and presentation skills.  This will not count towards my Toastmasters' goals, but that's ok.
While the focus is on the 10 Questions, I really feel that provides more of an analysis tool.  The information gained gives us a deeper understanding of what we are reading, but I feel it needs further contemplation.

I have been working on my verses over multiple days and coming back to them for further thought.  Unfortunately, distraction is a real issue for me.  I need a better way to keep my focus and keep with my study.  I have also been adding sermon notes and graphics (not mine) to my journal and making notes on verses I would like to study further.

Finally, I have been collecting some devotional material in an online document.  For my book-based devotionals, I take photos of the page with the thought of including those in my journal as well.  I like the pre-written devotionals to give me ideas for application.  How might I write a short devotional on what I've studied?

Questions for my readers:

I have a lot of material in addition to the Specific verses I initially wanted to study.  How do you choose study material?  How do you relate God's Word to your personal life?

I would love to see your comments below (you may comment anonymously).



On another topic:  I will likely be switching topics week after next.  What would you like to see:  
  • Discussion on personality types (and communication)
  • Turning my yard into a homestead

Until next time,

Stormy



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jump to homestead then later to the personality subject. Just a suggestion.😊

Stormy said...

I was thinking of that order. Thank you!