Tuesday, February 06, 2024

Putting Together the Journal

I wanted a "template" to guide my studies.  I started with two pages based on the 10 questions book.  My plan was to put them in with my calendar (which is just months).  This posed a couple of problems.  I had just purchased some 9-disk based calendars which are 7x9.25 inches.  These are larger than my normal preferred size of 5.5x8.5 but did give me a bit more room.  I bought paper for this size, since I already have a punch for disk systems.

The second issue was that my printer, for whatever reason, refuses to print these double sided.  I print double-sided all the time.   I can only suppose that they are a non-standard size which the printer somehow doesn't know how to handle.  Sigh.  [If you know how I might accomplish this, please drop a note in the comments.]

Well...  I did want the two pages to be facing.  But then I had two more pages to fill ... and yes, I now have to print one side, turn the paper over and print the other - arg!!

Here's my original:  I know it's small, I'll give you the details at the end of the post.


I decided that it might be useful to add some bits from the other journaling study guides.  I also decided that adding blue dots would enable me to easier write or draw in the large blank spaces.  So, my next iteration looks like this:



Finally, I thought that it would be useful to print out the referring verses, instead of just listing the chapter and verse.  I've also added hymn references from my hymnal (in my case, this is the Lutheran Service Book).  Occasionally, I might list verses from one of the hymns.

As you can imagine, this has suddenly grown significantly.  After the first verse, I decided to copy my template (it's in MS Word) to a separate file with the verse and copy/paste as much information as possible (mostly the verses, translations, "other verses," hymn words and some graphics).  An advantage to this is that I can easily resize sections as needed.  I usually put the prayer after the geography question on p. 3.

For this reason, and the pain of printing, I usually do the compilation in the evening.  In the morning, I will print and then dive into the data.  I am wondering if I want to write a short devotional-style story in the notes section.  This would be different from the "experience/connection and feeling" section.  It might also be based on a key word or concept from the verse which would possibly affect how I complete that section.

I want to share my template, but I'm not quite sure the best way to do that.  As you can see, it's mostly headings, text boxes (for the context) and a 4x4 table.  The blank spaces are filled with rows of periods separated with two spaces.

The current template is headed as follows:

P1
Verse:                                    Date:
-spaces-

Other translations:
-spaces- 
[Note:  I use biblegateway.com, if you change versions, at the bottom of the new version, you will have the option to view all English version.  I start with ESV and look up NIV and AMP (amplified) versions.  There are other online Bibles available, use whichever works best for you or your physical Bible.]

Keywords:
-spaces-
[I like the Hebrew Interlinear Bible (there's a greek NT).  But it doesn't work well for the template.  So, I look at that one, then go to the other one, Bible Study Tools Interlinear Bible.  This one gives you the text in English with  highlighted words.  When you click on the words you get the Hebrew or Greek translation like in a dictionary.  Also, unlike the first one, you can copy and paste the information into your template.]

P2

I repeat the Verse/Date headers at the top with dotted space.  

Context:  How did we get here? / What  happens next?
Below this is two side-by-side text boxes (outlined).

Below this, with dotted space, is:
Where are we? (Geographical Context)

Footnotes/other verses (Where have I heard this before?):

My Experience and Connection to Verse; What am I feeling?

P3

Analysis
This is followed b the 4x4 table.  The headings are:
POV    Who is Enemy?    How is Enemy Defeated?    Who are You, Lord?

I include the following:
Jones, Andrew.  Ten Questions to Ask Every Time You Read the Bible (.p153).  Concordia Publishing House.  Kindle Edition.

Next is:
What Questions Remain?

P4

Notes, Graphics, Prayers
This is a dotted page for my notes, pictures, and prayers, though I usually put the prayers on the previous page, as there are few remaining questions and lots of space.

I've added a page 5 to write out the referenced verses and possibly a hymn.  Since you have two sides, there is a blank page 6.

This is really long, but I wanted to share my template.  Please take it and make it your own.

In my next post, I will share some samples.

Until next time, 

Stormy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks great…lots of work!